Deb Broderson, VP of Engagement Marketing
Your employees want to feel appreciated all year long, but what better way to acknowledge their hard work than getting out of the office during beautiful weather? Since the end of summer is creeping upon us, here are some terrific ideas to get you started with planning an employee appreciation event!
1. Carnival: set up different tables of games, candy and prizes for an afternoon of fun!
2. Office Olympics: set up teams to compete (maybe even mix up departments to influence interaction between co-workers that wouldn’t normally work together), present a gold, silver and bronze medal along with a simple gift for everyone participating (something as simple a company tumbler).
3. Scavenger Hunt: a great team building exercise! Get neighboring businesses or clients involved too. Each participant should receive a prize, but the winner should receive the “big” one.
4. Obstacle Course: get the physical and mental elements going! Activities can include walk in heels with an egg on a spoon, crab-walk in the grass, spin 20 times in a desk chair and answer a riddle. Give specific awards for participation – up the ante and give a gift certificate or free lunch!
5. Ropes Course/Rock Climbing: if you are fortunate enough to have an area with such facilities this can also be a great way to emphasize team building and also gets everyone out of the office!
6. Take Me Out to The Ball Game: there are a couple of options for this! Many ball parks host corporate events and group rates, why not take advantage and take your team out for a game? Or have your own ball game – kickball, softball, baseball, dodge-ball, volleyball – you pick!
7. Employee Picnic: have the essentials catered or make it a pot-luck! Include some entertainment and games like softball, kickball, horseshoe, bean bag toss, karaoke, or live music.
8. Host a Texas-Style BBQ: go big or go home right? How fun is a backyard BBQ? Keep that theme throughout! Have different BBQ vendors cater and include fun games and entertainment too! BYO lawn-chair.
9. Outdoor movie: take a vote on 5 movie options and then host an outdoor movie. Have employees bring their own lawn-chairs or blankets.
10. A day at the pool/lake/beach or water park/water games: whichever type of water you are closest to! Have a day of rest and relaxation or fun with super soakers and water slides!
No matter which activity you choose, your employees will no doubt feel a sense of appreciation. By keeping your employees happy, you’re also keeping them motivated to achieve more. It is important to never underestimate the power of employee appreciation.
Which activity sounds best for your business?